My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.sono-ma.com
and update your bookmarks.



“Hello! I am so glad to be here today, as we are going to talk about science - one of my favorite subjects!"

Allow me to introduce myself. I am Professor Wizzywig, and I work for the Children’s Museum of Sonoma County. I enjoy helping young people discover a love for science, art and the world around us.

What’s this you say? Talking science to young children? Why, yes indeed! Who better to want to engage in a little trial and error as a method for learning? Who else would want the opportunity to use their eyes, hands, and feet to explore something new? Children, of course! And the Children’s Museum’s very purpose is to nurture curiosity, ignite imagination, and cultivate creativity!


Let's make observations! What can you do while exploring the Children's Museum?

Play! Did you know that play is an important process in the intellectual development of young people? With exhibits and activities to engage young minds, children of all ages find new ways to engage in learning. My goodness! There are more than 15 hands-on physical science, art, and cultural-based exhibits, you say? Are those bubbles I see? Is that music I hear? How is that Styrofoam sticking to that box? Children, you are so right to say there is much SO much to see and discover!



What do you think your parents are saying about the Children's Museum?

Why, I’ve heard parents say they like to bring their little people to an unstructured place where hands on learning is encouraged. One father even shared that his own curiosity keeps him coming back to see what new inventions the Children’s Museum and I will unveil. A mother said she and her children explored the exhibits for more than two hours – clearly science lovers in the making!



Now who do you think supports the Children's Museum?

Did you guess the answer? You are correct if you answered that you are the supporters of the Children’s Museum! Donations from families like yours, grants, and support from groups like the Junior League help us to set up our “Museum on the Go” displays. Most excitingly, we are working to find a permanent home – maybe even next door to the Schulz Museum!  If you’d like to help us out, think of making a donation before the winter holidays- I’ve got a special friend who promises to match every dollar we bring in. Talk to my colleagues at the Museum if you’d like to help us further!


Where can you find the Children’s Museum to conduct your own experiments?
Ahh. I’d thought I’d peak your curiosity about science! Come out and try your own hand (or foot!) at one of our tables. Our next “Museum on the Go” exhibit will be hosted by the folks over at the Great Handcar Regatta on September 27th in Santa Rosa's Old Railroad Square. You can also find us at other locations by looking at our calendar.

I’d love to meet you and tell you the answers to question such as: Does it really take ‘ten hundred breaths’ as one of the children guessed? If we were measuring with elephants, how many elephants would we need?

The Children’s Museum offers more than interactive exhibits. I like to do special workshops and demonstrations with children as well. Some children even invite us to their birthday parties! We always have great fun!

Well, I must get back to my lab to do a few experiments.  It's been so nice visiting with you today.  Hope to see you at the Children's Museum of Sonoma County.  Toodles!



1 comments

  1. Collette // August 25, 2009 at 12:09 AM  

    One thing the Professor forgot to mention is that the Children's Museum of Sonoma County is in active discussions on a site in Santa Rosa next door to the Schulz Museum! They hope to get the site next May and then open doors within a year or two afterward. So if you have a few extra dollars, please send them to the Children's Museum of Sonoma County. Every dollar is matched until December 31, 2009 by a generous private donor!

Related Posts with Thumbnails