My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.sono-ma.com
and update your bookmarks.





The Summerfield Waldorf School warmly invites families to attend the Winter Faire on Friday and Saturday December 4th and 5th. This magical event is sure to delight family members of all ages!  Join in the annual festivities, and experience an old world style holiday. 




Winter Faire Shopping

On Friday, December 4th, join in an adult only holiday evening to complete your holiday shopping. You’ll find unique, hand-made items crafted with natural elements. From Puppenstube dolls to Sarah’s Silks to Sharon Eisley’s fairy doll houses to the Summerfield School’s “store” items such as Elsa Beskow books and Stockmar crayons, you’ll find whimsical items your children are sure to love.

Other vendors will sell jewelry, cutting boards, wooden boxes, holiday ornaments, candles, honey and other high quality, locally crafted items to fill the holiday wishes of the adults in your life.




I saved all of my holiday gift money for this event last year, and felt very pleased with my purchases.  We bought Bryles a box of Stockmar crayons, Elsa Beskow's Children of the Forest, a hand knit sweater from Peru, two wooden cars, and a wooden horse and cart.  We also purchased creamed honey from a local vendor, beeswax candles, and a lovely piece of handcrafted silver jewelry.  The lasting gifts are still happily in use in our home today, and shall remain treasured items for years to come. 


So inspired did I feel by these hand-crafted items, I worked all year to produce my own items to sell at the Winter Faire.  My booth's theme is "Wooden, Wool and Wonderful:  Upcylced and Found Treasures."  Come and feel the soft whisps of Max' the Angora goat's mohair I'll be offering or purchase a lovely ornament crafted from his fleece.  Charlie the Llama, Lin-lin and Lilac the Jacob's Sheep, and Gus the Lincoln are also offering debuting at my booth - I've hand washed and carded lots of fiber to share!  Hold a tiny wire egg basket, and dream of a child's kitchen.  Find a lovely lunch sack created from discarded clothing, or behold some other hand crafted treasure.  This crafty mama is making her debut as a vendor, and I'd love your support!




("Breakfast for Two" -
sample Sono-Ma upcycled and found treasure.)
See more Sono-Ma treasures here.


Winter Faire Festival


Return on Saturday, December 5th with the whole family. The Summerfield campus, often described as looking like a small European village, will be decked out in evergreens and ringing with the bells of holiday music. Step close to the bonfire, take a leisurely ride in a horse and carriage cart, dip a candle, and take a photo next to regal King Winter (photograph above.) Enjoy a marionette puppet show in the whimsical kindergarten classrooms.  Eat a scrumptious, organic lunch while listening to talented students and staff play instruments and sing. Gather your family close and breathe in an old world style holiday moment that is sure to fill you with joy!

In past years, our family decorated gingerbread cookies and crafted a few gifts for grandma including:  felted flower bell ornaments, wool angles, and hand-dipped beeswax candles.  The smell of evergreen hanging from every rafter and post mixed sweetly with the scent of ginger and warm wax.   After putting our hands to good work, we took a break to sip some soup, and reveled in a talented musical performance of wind and string instruments such as the reed and harp.  The simple rituals and activities filled our hearts and warmed our souls.


Ensure that you join in the classic fun this year. Print and share this flyer with your family and friends, too!


To learn more about the Summerfield Waldorf School, please visit the website.  Mark your calendar for parenting lectures, farm tours, and other festivals that engage community members after checking the school's "upcoming events" section (lower left.)

11/26/09 Update:  Summerfield's Messenger reveals several craft activities will be offered as part of this year's Winter Faire:  Candle Dipping, Pot Pourri's, Greenery Swags, Wooden "Nature" candle-holder with candle.  Gingerbread cookie and house decorating, Hemp Woven Jewelry, and Wool Felting.  There will also be a "Snowflake Shop" where children can buy inexpensive handmade and donated gifts for their parents.  The whole family can also take part in the horse and cart rides as well as a garden stone workshop. 


(Note:  thanks to Nelson Waldorf for Marionette photo.)

6 comments

  1. Sharon // November 25, 2009 at 4:40 PM  

    well- you know ILL be there! Im not a waldorf mom, but I love this faire. It evokes almost everything the winter holidays should be for me, from the smell of gingerbread and bees wax to the cool air near an outdoor fire. and tis year I am plesed to be selling some of my art there as well.

  2. Frog Mom // December 1, 2009 at 11:19 AM  

    It sounds wonderful and I'm very admirative of your woolen creations. You can card wool?! Hats down to you. Boy I so wish I could bring my girls. Right now our Saturday is all busy but next year I'll certainly write down the date so we can come. Keep us posted of upcoming events.

  3. Minnow // December 5, 2009 at 6:50 PM  

    I am sooo bummed I ended up missing this!!!

  4. Selena // December 8, 2009 at 10:39 AM  

    It was so lovely to work side by side with you.
    Did you by any chance receive my email replying to yours on Sunday morning? Maybe the links in it is sending it to junk mail? Let me know if you would like me to send it again.

  5. Panjee Tapales // December 14, 2009 at 5:06 PM  

    Your stuff's great. Thanks for visiting my site as well. You have magic hands! Just amazing.

  6. Sono-Ma: Holly White-Wolfe // December 15, 2009 at 5:29 PM  

    The Winter Faire was a huge success! Summerfield had a fabulous turnout, and my booth had a wonderful amount of visitors. I sold all of my gnomies (thanks to Kosima for insisting I make and sell these this year!), lots of hand carded wool, and many ornaments. The wooden bowls were also a huge hit. My booth partners Sharon and Paul also sold a fairy house and wooden boxes. Most importantly, I connected live with many on-line friends. How cool to meet Apron Thrift Girl and Christine of Puppenstube dolls! And Karla, your old skirts that I converted into Nature Table Cloths? Truth of Truth's Dolls bought one!

Related Posts with Thumbnails